Friday, November 29, 2013

Ganesh on the Wall

My sister-in-law wanted a Ganesh painting for her wall. Instead of painting one big Ganesh I decided on doing a set of four. One reason being it was hard for me to choose just one design out of the million; second reason being it is just very difficult for me to manage one big painting because I lose patience fast; and lastly, it's easier to carry on flight.

I had just a week to finish them so I did some preliminary sketches and went to the hobby store, stacked up on acrylic paints and rushed home - only to find that the gold and silver bottles I picked up were powdered pigments and I needed a medium. But they didn't have any at the store! The Internet didn't give me any helpful alternatives either. Since we were travelling to meet some people on the other side of town, I checked their other branch if they had any - thankfully they did.

I had to use 2-3 coats of colour to get some consistency in the paintings. They seemed very diluted on their own. 

For the silver Ganesh, I wanted to use the silver powder to highlight the edges but the wind blew and scattered the pigment a little. It seemed to work so that's what I did on purpose - just dabbed a little powder on the edges then blew lightly in the direction I wanted the powder to scatter. It would be better to do this in parts to avoid a mess.

My metallic pens from my previous projects came in very handy to discreetly outline the edges of the drawings after the colours had been filled in. I thought about doing some detailed Zentangles over the images but then opted to keep it clean and simple. 


Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Drawings

I have fallen behind on my little Zentangle notebook that I tried to scribble in everyday, mainly because I've been travelling, and also because I was working on a bigger scale. These are some of the sets I made last month.

The first one took me over a day for each letter (10x10 inches each). I had to pencil in the dimensions for the borders and letters for uniformity, otherwise I prefer freehand. The next step was to watercolour it. I have to admit that I was disappointed with the way it looked with just the watercolours and I thought I have wasted a whole lot of time for nothing. But when I outlines it with my micron pens, it started to really stand out. Phew!

The animal set just started out as a trial with the peacock, but I liked the owl I saw somewhere so that came next. But just two seemed incomplete, so I found a curious giraffe. I made this on thick printing paper so the pens were gliding on them as opposed to the watercolour paper I used for the previous one.

The other two pieces were also experiments. I had some good art paper but were too dark for the micron pens. Even the metallic ones I got didn't stand out too well. So I used watercolour to lighten the background, then used the pens for the design. These are all freehand therefor not too straight at the borders.

Love for All Seasons (watercolour on paper, with coloured pencils and pens)

Animal Kingdom (Coloured pencils on paper)

Joy & Freedom (Watercolours and metallic markers on paper)

Floating in Space (watercolour and metallic markers on paper)

National Geographic POD