Friday, November 29, 2013

Ganesh on the Wall

My sister-in-law wanted a Ganesh painting for her wall. Instead of painting one big Ganesh I decided on doing a set of four. One reason being it was hard for me to choose just one design out of the million; second reason being it is just very difficult for me to manage one big painting because I lose patience fast; and lastly, it's easier to carry on flight.

I had just a week to finish them so I did some preliminary sketches and went to the hobby store, stacked up on acrylic paints and rushed home - only to find that the gold and silver bottles I picked up were powdered pigments and I needed a medium. But they didn't have any at the store! The Internet didn't give me any helpful alternatives either. Since we were travelling to meet some people on the other side of town, I checked their other branch if they had any - thankfully they did.

I had to use 2-3 coats of colour to get some consistency in the paintings. They seemed very diluted on their own. 

For the silver Ganesh, I wanted to use the silver powder to highlight the edges but the wind blew and scattered the pigment a little. It seemed to work so that's what I did on purpose - just dabbed a little powder on the edges then blew lightly in the direction I wanted the powder to scatter. It would be better to do this in parts to avoid a mess.

My metallic pens from my previous projects came in very handy to discreetly outline the edges of the drawings after the colours had been filled in. I thought about doing some detailed Zentangles over the images but then opted to keep it clean and simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment